2013-09-28

Story Continuation - Chapter 2

Case 1: Fragment 2

I felt like I was drifting into a hazy grey light. As it began to get brighter I realized that I was waking up and wiped my eyes then held my forehead. My temples where throbbing horribly. I rolled to the side and set my feet on the carpeted floor. Stretching my toes I looked at the clock on her nightstand. It read about 5:14 in roman numerals. I let out a sigh as I twisted my head around roughly, cracking my neck. I stood up and stretch out my arms and leaned back letting out loud audible crack. Sitting back down; I rubbed my temples and opened the nightstand's drawer. Pushing another Five-seveN out of the way, and other things I don't care to recount at this time, I found a bottle of aspirin. I opened it and took three of them and threw them to the back of my throat swallowing. I sat down rubbing my jaw and grumbled half to myself and half out loud, “I really need to shave.” I sat there for a few minutes letting the aura pulse and got up. 

I recalled falling to sleep from exhaustion and that there was something I was trying to force myself back awake to check on but I couldn't bring to mind what. I rubbed my eyes as I stood up again and walked into the bathroom attached to the room. I relieved my bladder then washed my hands and face. After cleaning up, I walked back into Weiss's room and grabbed my boots from the door frame. I sat on the edge of the bed cleaning them with a cloth and polish from the end table as I felt my phone vibrating. I pulled it out and started towards the door. My slave had texted me again saying “I love you” and I replied the same back as I opened the door and walked down the hall. I walked down the hall and passed by the guest room Voss was staying in. I knocked lightly and opened it slowly to peek in. She was nowhere to be seen from the frame. I opened it the rest of the way and looked around for a bit. The bed was made and Voss's boots were against the nightstand. Her jacket was hanging from a hook near the window. Satisfied with my lazy inspection, I left the room closing the door behind me. I noticed through my still dully throbbing headache that I heard water running. I nodded and mumbled to myself, “That makes sense,” as I walked down the stairs.

As I turned around the handrail, I heard the clear rhythmic mechanical tapping coming from the computer room. Weiss called out, “What was that dear?” I walked through to her and leaned against the wall near the desk resting on my elbow. “Just talking to myself,” I said to her. Weiss chuckled and turned away from the computer. “You shouldn't do that. Doesn't help any to prove your sanity,” she said with a smirk as she continued typing on the computer without looking at the screen. I raised an eyebrow and nodded towards the screen. “Any progress?” I asked as she turned back to the screen. She nodded, “Chimera have been working on cross references and there seems to be something that was overlooked in the reports. Here they want to do a conference call.” Weiss tapped the screen where the text box was then turned on the camera and set it to wide view so they could see both of us at the same time.

The screen connected almost instantly and two very young looking faces showed up in the screen. Their pale skin lightly glowed in the monitor light as they sat in front of each their own monitor. I noted the subtle differences in their faces that only close acquaintances would see so I could tell which one were speaking. We never called them by their real names and always referred to them by the shared screen name Chimera, even when speaking about them separately. I crossed my arms as they smiled enthusiastically, “Queen through some research we found something interesting about the cases that weren't in the notes, either overlooked or intentionally left out of the documents,” the one on the left said. Her hands tapped quickly as an image appeared in our file share. The second one spoke up, “Look at the edges of the cuts, you were right to assume that they were done with a smooth sharp blade but upon closer inspection, they were snipped.” He had a bright look in his eyes. “Sheared then?” Weiss said looking up at me. I moved closer to the screen to see the edges Chimera were talking about.

I leaned back and crossed my arms and rubbed my goatee in thought. “Maybe this does pertain to the case...” I mumbled to myself as the twins continued. “At first there didn't seem to be anything similar between the cases other than age samples with a few outliers. Most are people from their mid-late teens to mid-twenties. It could very well be a serial killer based on that information...” Weiss interrupted them, “You said at first, does that mean you found another similarity between the subjects?” They both smiled not able to hold back their excitement.

“All of the people killed were around school areas late at night,” Chimera said. I stopped staring in the distance and looked at them, “That isn't really conclusive evidence about anything, if it was just people walking around at night around schools then there would not have been as many killings.” I looked up at them and the boy smirked, “Sure it's not conclusive for a serial killer, but what about a slasher?” Weiss looked up at me, “What do you think?” I thought it over in my head; the killings did all fit into the profile of the subject but it didn't really make sense other than explaining as the supernatural aspect of a slasher. I let out an audible sigh and shrugged. “It very well could be so keep us informed on anything interesting that crops up. I think I'm going to have to go do some sleuthing about the areas for more info.” All three of them nodded and Chimera spoke, “Well we just decided it was best to give you what information we had come up with sooner than later. We will continue but any new information you find, send it our way.” Weiss nodded and said, “Okay well I'll talk to you two later, we have to make plans for the next few days.” The twins nodded and spoke at the same time, “Chimera over and out!” They signed offline which immediately killed camera connection and any file transfer that was up.

“So Herr Blood, what is the plan?” Weiss turned and looked up at me through her glasses' frame. I turned my head to the side and looked back at her. “I'm going to have to check my books and see what the shearing matches up to,” I said as I crossed my arms again. “I don't think we're looking at local or even national area myths. This very well could be something from overseas.” I started pacing as Weiss stood up letting out a sigh. “Well, love, why don't I start dinner? Go get our guest from upstairs. She's been in the shower for a while now,” she said as she walked to the kitchen humming something low but noticeably in German. I nodded to myself and softly walked up the staircase trailing my hand on the railing specifically focusing on the texture of it. I felt the warm humid air as I moved past the open bathroom. I noted it was empty and moved to the guest room. The door was closed so I knocked on it three times quickly. A soft disinterested voice came from it. “Come in, it's open.”

I softly turned the knob and walked in. Voss was standing in front of the mirror rubbing the scars on her face completely nude and still dripping water. I noticed multiple scars on her back in a quick lashed style as well as marks on her sides. She turned and looked at me with her pale absinthe eyes. “What do you need Mr. Strand?” I ran my eyes down from hers to her feet and back up again. She was quite thin and her body was covered in freckles, piercings, and scars. Her legs were covered in them in precise scores. On my pass up I noted the glimmer of the jewelry in the thick plumage between her legs. Her ribs had multiple scars as well as her breasts. Studs also shined in her nipples.

As my eyes returned to the absinthe colored ones she said dryly, “Just enjoying the view or is there something else?” I spoke in my rolling monotony, “Weiss is making dinner. So get ready and come downstairs,” completely disregarding her statement. She nodded and softly rubbed the edge of the collar as she looked around the room. This slight... woman... brought no stir to my loins and the mere quip of it made my blood boil. I did not let it show on my face though and kept a very tired visage. “My clothes...where...” she said scrambling back and forth hurriedly. “Follow,” I said sharply and walked down the hall to Weiss's room. She complied without question and stood at the door frame. I went over to one of the dressers and pulled a couple tees out and threw them on the bed. “Weiss's clothes may be a bit large for you, so here wear one of my extras so you're not wearing something too flowing. She's probably put your clothes through the wash already.” Voss quickly grabbed the black one off the bed and pulled her hair out from the shirt collar slicking the dripping mass back. The shirt went down to the middle of her thighs. She followed me down the stairs to the dining room.

Weiss was in the kitchen still humming in German as she moved back and forth. I gestured at the table for Voss and she sat down. “Let me check on the dinner,” I said as I drifted into the doorway. Weiss was making a white sauce and meat with some pasta. “Well don't just stand there, love, come taste this,” she said turning lifting a spoon up from the pan. I walked up and tasted it and slightly gagged. She twisted her lips, “Seems I put a little too much aromatics in there for your taste again. I guess I'll just add more wine to compensate for the garlic and onions.” She softly poured a little more into the sauce and kept stirring. “So Blood, what's the plan for her?” I shook my head. “I need to investigate my leads and I suppose she can come along as an observer.” Weiss nodded, “Well once the sauce cooks down, dinner will be ready. Keep her entertained would you?” I shrugged and walked back into the dining room. Voss had her hands wrapped on each other on the top of the table. I sat down and offered Voss a kretek from my tin.

She shook her head, “I don't smoke.” I shrugged, “When you've worked our profession long enough, you'll start to.” I flicked open my lighter and lit the smoke. She rubbed the edge of her collar and looked up at me, “So you said that I'd be coming with you tonight?” I nodded slightly, “Yes but it won't be until at least after 2200... 10 o'clock. I have to talk to my girlfriend for a bit.” She looked up at me, “Girlfriend? I thought I heard Weiss say slave.” I nodded, “We practice things but it's just more convenient to refer to her as girlfriend.” She nodded, “I understand, my boss often refers to me as his pet.” I looked down at her collar trailing her nails along the scars around it. “And you do not want to be called that anymore,” I said blowing a plume out. She nodded with a straight face just staring into space. I shrugged and patted her head, “Well pretty soon you won't have to... I promise that.” I squeezed her left shoulder taking care not to dig my nails into it; this caused her to let out a soft exhale. “Dinner is almost ready so let's go harass Weiss,” I added. She looked up and nodded standing up next to me. I put out the kretek in the ashtray as I led her to the kitchen.

As we walked in Weiss was shaking her head muttering in German as she stirred the sauce. “Problem Fraulein?” I said as I started taking plates out of the cabinet. I gestured at the drawer near the sink while looking at Voss. “Silverware,” I said to her gathering plates and bowls. Weiss looked up. “It's ready. I added a little too much kirsch though,” she said with a sigh. I set the dishes on the table and called out, “It's fine; it's better than burning it right?” Weiss chuckled as she brought the pot to the table with a place mat. “That is true,” her heavy accent the most noticeable it had been all day. Weiss went back into the kitchen and brought a serving bowl full of mixed salad greens and let it rest next to the pasta pot. Voss set the silverware down and looked around the table and then scurried back into the kitchen and returned with a pitcher of water and glasses. “Thank you dear,” Weiss said as she took the pitcher. Voss set the glasses down at in front of the plates. Weiss and I sat down at our usual position across from each other.

We started serving ourselves and I looked to my side and saw Voss there with her hands behind her back. “Sit and eat as you please,” she nodded briskly and sat down. Weiss smirked as she used the tongs to put salad on her plate. “Such a compliant one isn't she? She's been trained well,” she said bringing a few leaves to her mouth. Voss sat there rubbing her collar as she served herself pasta and sauce. I tapped my finger irritated against the edge of my plate noticing she was serving herself in the same order I was. We sat in silence for a few minutes just eating. “This is really good...” Voss muttered low as she sipped from her glass. Weiss nodded, “Thank you Fraulein. Pasta and sauces aren't my forte. I prefer stews and meaty things, but since I have guests I figured it was for the best.” I wiped the sauce from my goatee and took a sip from my glass. “So, Voss, we are going to go scouting for more information pertaining to my case. You'll be seeing what I do firsthand.” Voss nodded quietly. “So what exactly is it that you do?” she said looking up at me. I stared down at her and scratched my goatee making sure it was clean. Weiss cleared her throat lightly, “Perhaps you should just wait and see. A lot more interesting and easily explainable that way.” Voss nodded taking this reply faster than if I had explained it myself.

I finished off my pasta and pushed the plate aside and grabbed one of the smaller salad ones. I watched as Voss finished her pasta as I finished plating my salad. As soon as I took a bite of the leaves she set her plate down and began eating her salad. I shook my head slightly feeling a throbbing as the voice spoke.

Perhaps you should trade the old model in for a new one? Hehhehheh.

I shook my head for clarity and looked up to Weiss. She adjusted her glasses and gave a slight nod. Weiss finished her salad and set it aside and lit a kretek. The smell of vanilla mixed with the food as Voss as we finished our dinner. Weiss stood up and started cleaning up. Voss hurriedly helped as I walked into the living room. I turned on the TV sitting down in the master chair and propped my feet up on the ottoman. The news was playing and it was talking about a multiple homicide downtown. I smirked as I leaned my head back pulling a kretek from my tin and lit it. I blew a cloud of cloven smoke.

The local new was blaring one of the snippets of the things being discussed at 9 o'clock:  broad strokes over a group murder downtown, another update on the Smiling Jack serial killer, and other things that had come up recently. I shook my head as I flicked the ashes and set the television to mute. The sound of heels and bare feet came out from the area back-left of the chair. I gestured up to them without sitting up in the chair and Weiss walked up and pulled a chair up next to me. “Sit,” Weiss said to the red haired guest. Voss's face tensed up slightly and looked down at me I moved my glance to the side and looked at the chair. “Weiss just take the chair,” I said blowing a puff out. Weiss sighed and sat down crossing her right leg over the other, her hosiery making a rough rubbing sound that always makes my skin crawl. Voss sat on the edge of the ottoman near my boots and tucked her knees close together resting her hands on them. I glanced at the scars on her cheeks as I spoke to Weiss, “So, what is the plan?” Weiss nodded and leaned forward with her tablet and turned it on.

“So, Chimera mentioned that the cuts were caused from shears. Which means - we have to base our investigation around the myths involving them. Smiling Jack, as our friends at the local news call him, has been rather busy. The most recent incident was actually last night while were... interviewing our new associate,” she paused and looked at Voss, “Which once again I apologize for.” Voss nodded and mumbled, “It's fine.” Weiss adjusted her glasses and tapped on the touch screen bringing up a map of the city. “The body was another child. This one was about twelve years old. He was found on Daventry, near that middle school that is no longer in use.” I sat up slowly and looked down at the screen. “Kenilworth,” I said as I put out my kretek on the nearby ashtray. She nodded, “So, what I need you two to do is go and investigate the area. If there's any evidence the police overlooked note it and take photos.” I nodded as did Voss. “I want you to be careful though, the killer has attacked multiple subjects, if you remember the few pairs of couples from a month or so ago,” Weiss added. “But of course Frau. Why would do otherwise?” I said with a smirk.

Weiss leaned forward and grabbed my jaw. “You'd better be, you'd have at least two women I know for certain that'd be worried if you died,” she said blowing the vanilla haze in my eyes. “I grabbed her wrist with my finger nails and squeezed enough to make little drops of blood bubble on her wrist. “Two?” I said as I pulled her hand away. She let out a boisterous laugh, “I stand by what I said.”  I scoffed as I brought my feet to the floor and leaned forward propping my elbows on my knees and crossing my hands. I brought them to rest against my chin and noticed the puzzled look on Voss's face. “Don't worry about it, it's an in-joke that you'll be privy to sooner or later,” I said to her. Her face stayed perplexed as she said, “Okay...” I let out a light sigh and looked at my phone's time. 18:47 gleamed on the screen before I tapped the button to turn off the screen.

I turned to Weiss, “Okay, well, where are her clothes? I know how much you enjoy coercing people into taking them off but I really can't take her anywhere like this.” Weiss chuckled, “They're in the dryer. So they should be finished in short time.” Voss was still save for the slightly movement from her breath. Weiss stood up and patted the small woman's head. “Let's go check on them,” she said with her heavy accent. Voss nodded and followed her to the laundry room. I got up and stretch walking to the kitchen to get something to drink. Reaching for a glass above the sink I could hear them speaking. “Here're your clothes. Just a shirt, pants, and socks right?” “Yes Weiss.” I turned on the water from the tap and began filling the glass. “Have you thought of getting those scars treated? My company has a chemical we produce to actually breakdown scar tissue into regular skin,” Weiss asked as I shut the font off. I started sipping the water as I leaned back against the counter and continued listening. “I have but they remind me of mistakes I've made and how I've continued on afterward,” Voss said.

The German accent came out again, “Makes sense I suppose. Those are some very well done piercings. Where did you get them done?” I finished my glass ignoring the rest of the conversation. I set it into the sink and returned to the chair and reclined again. I thought to myself, “Weiss trying to acquire herself a new plaything.” I felt a presence with me. “You really shouldn't be eavesdropping. It's a bad habit,” the voice said to me. I cleared my head and thought in silence to the voice, “So is dropping into another's thoughts. You know how taxing it is on me to use this.” There was a chuckle inside my head, “Well maybe you should drink from my font some more. The energy is cumulative right?” I closed my eyes and focused on forcing the voice out of my head. As I did the click of heels and clothed feet came across the room. “Up to no good waiting on us love?” Weiss said with a smirk. I stood up and looked into her pale eyes. “Not any more than you already know,” I said causing a chuckle. Voss had another scrunched look on her face.

After a few hours pasted and us going back and forth watching television and playing card games I noticed the time. 22:00 read my phone's screen. I let myself out into the back patio and sat on a stone bench lighting a kretek. 22:02 read the screen as Apple by Anders Manga rang out from the speaker. I answered it as I took an inhale of the smoke. “Hey,” I spoke into the phone. “Hi, sorry I'm late calling. I couldn't find my phone. Nuala knocked it off the table,” a soft voice said. I let the smoke billow from my lips as I spoke, “It's okay baby girl. How is the training going?” I could hear mewing in the background and she made a few kissing sounds before replying, “It's going good. I learned some new mediation skills. My teacher said that I do better at brewing though. I'm thinking about getting some more books on herbs.” I nodded to myself, “That'd be good for you. I'm glad that you are doing so well Anise.” She said with a hint of embarrassment that I could feel, “Thank you Master... so how have you been?”

I let out a sigh, “Tired, very tired. Weiss and I found some leads on the current case. She also hired me an assistant. I think you'd like them.” She was quiet for a few minutes, “You know I'm scared for you. Be careful, you're looking for a serial killer right?” I inhaled and blew another plume, “Yeah, but with my assistant, I'll at least have a second gun ready. I have to head out in a few to go investigate one of the leads. So I'll talk to you tomorrow. Okay?” She spoke softly, “Okay... I love you Master.” I nodded to myself again as I put out my kretek. “I love you too slave. I'll talk to you tomorrow, bye.” I hung up the phone and dusted the ashes off my pants. I stood up and went to slide the glass door back open. Weiss was standing there nodding with sad look in her eyes but it quickly disappeared as I looked up at her. “So, are you going out now?” she asked me. I squeezed her wrist lightly as a response and walked into the living room.

Voss was sitting on the ottoman again slipping into her bomber styled jacket. She had a frustrated look on her face as she searched her jacket pockets. “Where is it...?” she muttered to herself as she patted the multiple pockets. Weiss walked up behind her and leaned down over her causing the cascade of her silvered hair to hang and drape over the red locks. “Looking for this?” she said holding prescription bottle that was full of diazepam. Voss snatched it hastily, “Huh... it's full? I only had two left last night.” Weiss smiled down at her, “I am a doctor you know. It's rather easy to have a prescription filled when your lab can make pretty much any substance.” Voss mulled the concept over in her head as I trailed my black nails on the railing walking up to Weiss's room for my boots. I noticed out of the corner of my eye Voss throwing her head back with about five pills in her palm. “Everyone needs their vices,” I said in my head.

I held my head as a cacophony rang out in my ears. “I need to kill the sound,” I muttered to myself as I stumbled slightly into Weiss's open room. I sat on the bed next to the other shirt I set out grabbing my boots from the door frame in one motion. I leaned over bring my palm to cover my brow and eyes as I tried forcing the indistinguishable rumbling of speaking from my ears. I felt a shadow cast over me and lifted my head and saw Weiss's towering figure. She shook her head with a sad look in her eyes and walked up to me and knelt down so that she was leveled with my face. “Love, you really should take the medicine,” she said as she held my shaking hands in hers. I stared off past her noticing a small girl standing at the top of the stairs in a simple sundress with long black hair, her dark umber right eye quite visible. I ignored her as the sound started to die down slowly bringing the tremors to a standstill. I shook my head to clear the grogginess from my brain and to Weiss's statement. “Help me put on my boots,” I said to her dryly.

Weiss looked down in my eyes with her golden colored pair, the green specks in them glimmering in the lamplight of the room. She nodded and rubbed the veins on the backs of my hands, “Okay love.”  She slipped them on my feet and tightened them all the way to the top eyelets. When she finished she leaned forward and rested her head against my chest pressing her torso against my thighs. I ran my nails through her hair softly and wrapped my hand around her jaw and tilted her face up. She looked up through her lashes with a pleased expectant gaze. “Move,” I said with controlled force. She forced a smile on her lips and nodded with a noticeable sadness taking over her eyes. I stood up and looked down the hall. It was empty. I wiped the sweat that had built on my brow with my left hand as I walked past Weiss. The nail of my middle finger on my right hand trailed on her cheek. I got to the door and turned around and looked down at her, tiny drops of blood bubbled up through the nick. I softly titled my head in a gesture towards the stairs. She wiped her cheek licking her hand and stood up to follow.

We walked down the stair and Voss was already standing at the door softly playing with her locks. “Voss,” I said as I walked down the stairs, “ready for your first job?” She quickly brought her hands behind her back and nodded, “Yes, Mr. Strand.” I cocked my head slightly and walked up to her as I her Weiss chuckle briefly behind me. I grabbed my trench and slid my arms through the sleeves and flipped my hair out from beneath the collar. The rings in my ear lobes made a slight jingle from the adjustment and settled. I opened the door to the storm outside and shook my head. I looked back and said to Weiss, “I will call if something comes up... or text if I can't talk,” as I ushered Voss through the door. Weiss nodded and puckered her lips at me. I closed the door in a slightly hard but controlled manner. I clicked the unlock button on my key ring.

I walked her to the door and opened it for her and gestured at the seat using my open coat as a makeshift umbrella for her. After she was in I shut the door and moved around to my side and got in. I slicked my wet hair back off my face and connected my mp3 player back to the system. I turned on the ignition and the windshield blades and set the player to randomly shuffle. I pulled out of the complex and gave a slight wave to the security in the gate house. He gave a nod as the automatic exit opened up. Voss looked down at the screen and lightly turned up the volume so it was easy to hear both music and speech. “This is a good song, shame they haven't put anything out recently,” she said running her fingers on her collar. I nodded, “Stitches is a good song. Jay Gordon knows what he is doing. We have a little ways to drive in this.” I flipped the turn signal on as I pulled up to the traffic light near the entrance to the complex. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her bottle again then a couple of pills into her palm.  I looked briefly at it and moved my eyes up to the light and turned as it switched to green. As we listened to the song I noticed out of the corner of my eye she was slightly fidgety.

“Um, Mr. Strand?” she said as I cracked my window slightly enough that rain would not come through even though it was torrential. I pulled a kretek out and lit taking a couple quick puffs on it before inhaling a longer interval. “Lloyd is fine,” I said. I looked to my side and caught her nod to herself. “Ll-oyd... I was thinking about something you told me earlier.” I let out another plume in response. When she gathered I wasn't going to comment she continued, “What you said to me before we had dinner... you said you would make it so that-that I would not be his pet anymore.” I continued listening in silence watching the blades clear the glass and immediately have rain splash across it. “Why would you promise something when you don't even know if it is possible to get rid of this collar? I mean it's set to his biometrics and even then he has...” I cut her off by raising my right hand and tapped my nails on the steering wheel. “Simple, I do not make promises I cannot keep,” I said and took another drag from my kretek. She opened her mouth briefly to say something and then closed it as if answering her own question. I mused to myself about how promises are something that I don't make carelessly. I softly blew a plume of smoke out the window and started to slow the car. “We're here,” I said as I pulled the car to a park.

The headlights of my car lit up the police tape too an ethereal glow in the rain. I looked at Voss and nodded as I threw the butt of the kretek into a puddle watching it as it fizzled out quickly. “Okay,” I said to her as I reached in my jacket, “I'm going to need you to watch my back, best way would be to walk slow circles around me with your back towards me.” I produced my pistol and handed it to her. She looked down at it, “SIG P220,” she said ejecting the magazine then the chamber. “No.. P226. A .40 S&W model with a two-toned finish.” She brushed the frame. “Equinox,” she said reloading the bullet into the magazine and then into the gun itself. “Clearly multiple customizations as well I can feel in the frame so I suppose Equinox would more accurately be the base,” she finished. I nodded, “What more could I expect from a professional?” I asked rhetorically. A rosy blush covered her cheeks as she smirked. I placed my hand on her wrist. “Okay, I trust you with my back. Let's do this,” I said releasing her wrist and opening my door. She nodded and swung hers open at the same time.

We both slammed the doors behind us and started towards the caution tape. I clicked my second door lock button but the only noticeable affirmation was the flashing headlights. The rain was so torrential that I couldn't even hear the light horn blare that came with the double press of the lock. Lightly I pressed the tape down and stepped over it and proceeded looking around. I heard a light grunt and turned slightly and watched her squat under it and follow. With a gesture towards the center I noticed there were stains covering the sidewalk. I squatted down feeling my coat wrap around me on the ground. Voss walked up and looked around keeping the gun held low but readied position. “Is that...?” she started. “Blood,” I said tracing my index nail around the outline. “It's a little dark for it being in this weather though right? I mean shouldn't most of it washed away?” I raised a finger to my lip for her to be quiet and she nodded. I waited for her to turn her back and start her circling. Once her orbit began, I ran my bare finger across the stain and felt an oily texture. I did not feel an urge to drink and one of the voices in my cacophony spoke up,

It's not that it's diluted, which it is, but there's something mixed with it.

I nodded and spoke quietly to the voice, “Strange, let's see what the taste is.” I brought my finger to my mouth and gave it a light lick and softly spit.

Ink? Now that is peculiar.

“Yeah it is,” I mumbled to the voice, “it could be another signature. Why would that be purposefully removed from the reports though?” I stayed squat and stroked my goatee thinking about this development as my light source dimmed from above. “You're standing in my light,” I said as I trailed my nails on the stain. A deep masculine voice rang out, “This is a police cordoned area. This is trespassing on a crime scene.” A bright beam of a flashlight shone which caused me to squint. “Give me your ID,” the voice said sharply. Around the light occlusion I could make out that he was not wearing a police uniform nor had a badge. I stood up slowly and I heard the click of Voss readying the gun. The man began to draw a gun from his hip holster keeping the light in my eyes. Instinctively I threw a punch into his throat and brought the heel of my boot on top of his right knee. His leg buckled and he dropped the flashlight to clutch at his swelling windpipe. I placed a kick at his hand holding the gun and the heel of my boot struck his wrist knocking it from his hand. In one motion I turned and grabbed the frame of my pistol and led Voss back to the car in a sprint. I clicked the lock release and slid across the hood of my car as she got in slamming her door. I scrambled in and put the car into drive and accelerated hard enough that Voss had to brace against the dashboard. The tires squealed and the car swerved trying to find traction on the slick road. I looked out the passenger window and saw the man picking up his flashlight and turning to find his gun. As he made a reverse face the tires found their grip and we sped down the road. The car partly drifted, partly hydroplaned as we slid onto Boone and then onto Kenilworth Parkway.

I clicked my seat belt into place and heard her do the same. I brushed my hair back out of my face and let out a chuckle. “That was interesting. Was more expecting an actual officer on duty than a member of the organization,” I said wiping water from my brow. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw her wringing out her hair before slicking it back. “How did you know it was from the organization?” she said resting my pistol on her lap. I reached my hand out and tapped the gun's frame. “Because that was pointed at my head,” I said stopping at a traffic light on Perkins. I looked up to meet her eyes and she turned her face slightly away from me. “I suppose you were technically watching my back,” I said mustering enough emotion into the statement so the sarcasm would come through. She let out a scoff, “Had that light been on my face after yours, he would have questioned why I was with you.” I sat back straight as the light turned green and said, “I'm not asking for an explanation. You handled the situation well and appropriately. Good job.” I heard a sigh of relief escape her lips and she started to talk.

“Look if you plan on actually getting rid of him then...”  I brought my hand up to cut her off, “I made you a promise and I will follow through. Don't worry about it.” She nodded looking at me with an incredulous look before softening her face and nodding. “Okay,” she said quietly. I drove to the intersection of Perkins and Bluebonnet. “How does something warm to drink sound?” I asked her as I stayed in the left lane. She nodded, “Sounds good.” Once the arrow lit up, I turned and made a slight U-turn into the shopping center on the west side of Bluebonnet. We climbed out of the car and I clicked the doors locked as we hurried out of the rain to the shop's entrance. As we stepped through the door I shook off the excess water from my coat and my hair. Voss let out a shiver as we made our way to the counter. I already knew what I was going to get so I waited for her to make up her mind. The woman behind the counter with dyed maroon hair and stretched ear piercings asked with a smile, “What can I get you today?” I gestured my head towards Voss. “Waiting on her to decide,” I said looking in the baked goods case. The barista nodded, “Okay, just let me know when you're ready.” She walked off to busy herself cleaning the counters and machines behind the counter. A few minutes passed while I looked at my phone's time.

Voss looked around the menu and called out to the woman, “Miss, I'm ready.” The barista returned and smiled, “What can I get you honey?” Voss looked up at the menu, “I want to get a mocha cappuccino.” The woman nodded as she punched into the register the order and said, “Okay will that be it? And are you two together or separate?” Voss reached for her back pocket and began, “Sep...” I placed my hand on her elbow so her hand stayed in the pocket. “Together - I want to get an iced vanilla coffee,” I said resting my other hand on the counter as I let the other off Voss. The barista nodded, “Anything else?” I shook my head, “No that will be it.” She finished typing into register and said the amount but honestly I was not even paying attention. I reached in my front pocket and pulled my wallet out and then the ivory card from within. The she swiped it and handed me the card back with a receipt. “They will be ready at the end of the bar,” she said with a smile and went to work making our drinks and speaking into the drive-thru headset taking an order.

I went and picked a corner where I could watch the door and not be surrounded by windows. Paranoia to its highest degree but if it keeps me going for a bit longer then so be it. Voss sat down across from me and crossed her hands over each other resting them on the tabletop. I rubbed my eyes wiping the tired from them and pulled my phone out of my pocket setting it down the table. I propped my elbow on the table and leaned forward squeezing both sides the top of the bridge of my nose trying to relief the throbbing migraine that was there. I noticed in the periphery clouded by my hand that Voss had gotten jittery and was softly rubbing the edge of her collar. “What are you so nervous about?” I said trying to sound genuinely concerned but from an outsider's look it could have been just a very awkward date. I shook my head purging the thought, as well as the pulsing from my head, and sat up straight. Voss brought her hand down quickly to rest on the other hand, “Sorry I...” she started. I brought my right hand up with palm facing her, “It's okay. Just trying to start a conversation. I'm pretty bad at that. Not much one for talking. Much more a man of observation, of...” She spoke rather excitedly, “... Of action!” I felt my face contort of its own accord, which twisted into some kind of a scowl. She let out a small sound like a squeak and shrunk down into her seat slightly at my expression. She pulled her arms close and crossed them tightly over her breasts.

I shook my head trying to alleviate her worry. “Sorry I am functioning on a very varied sleep schedule and it is rather difficult to deal with the migraines that entail.” She slightly cocked her head and made a slight pout, “Okay...” Her arms loosened and she crossed her hands in her lap. “But Mr. Strand, the way you fought of the guy was very impressive!” she said with her voice slightly as the sentence rolled with the praise. I straightened my right hand out with all the fingers clutched and brought it down in front of me slowly. “Thank you Voss. It wasn't much of anything though. In my line of work... works?” I scratched my goatee and continued. “Anyway, it's just something that is natural developed from dealing with the variety of things that I do,” I said looking to the side to try to recollect something but I lost it quickly.

She shook her head and leaned forward resting her arms on the table, “It was amazing! In all my work I've never seen someone use such quick calculation to disable a person so quickly!” She took a slight pause to catch her breath as I assumed she was talking much more quickly and freely as she was used to. “It was impressive!” she finished taking a breath. “Thank you,” I said to be as genuinely grateful as possible. As I had stated, it was not anything particularly special.  Dealing with the things I do. You have to be as brutally swift as possible. A miscalculation could cost more than just your pride. I rubbed my eyes again and looked back at her face. Despite her excited talking and volume control issues, her face remained the same stone shape. The overhead light played on her scar making her seem much more devious with the way it cast shadows. A voice came from across the room, “One mocha cappuccino. One vanilla iced coffee!”

I made some silent praise to the Lady as I stood up in a brusque motion. Voss leaned back and looked up at me with a puzzled look on her face. “Coffee,” I said gesturing to the counter behind her. Her face washed over with a realization that she was talking so intently that she forgot about something deemed trivial and that she had not even heard the order. A blush crossed her freckled face as she stood up and followed me. The barista smiled, “Enjoy!” I nodded and said thanks as I handed Voss the hot cup. She softly sipped from it and let out a sigh of relief. I nodded at nothing in particular and walked back to where I was seated before and reclaimed my chair. Voss stood at her chair and I noticed she did not sit down until I had. I clicked my tongue to the irritation it caused me and pulled the lid off the plastic cup. She looked up at me and cradled the hot cup at her mouth sipping softly. I softly stuck my finger in my up and stirred with my finger making the cloudy vanilla swirl in the ice. I pulled my finger out and licked it clean. I looked up at Voss she had a puzzled look on her face. “You offered hot drinks and you get a freezing one?” she said as she sipped. I made a bemused expression at the comment and took a sip from my cup. “I find it stimulates me more,” I said setting it down. Voss lightly tapped her upper lip. I took the hint and softly wiped the remaining drink from my mustache and trailed my tongue out briefly to clean the rest. We sat just staring at each other for a few minutes in silence softly drinking both of our drinks.

When the world apparently found the silence unbearable there was suddenly the sound of music. The guitar at the beginning of the clip was a clear giveaway and Voss started humming along softly. I allowed her to continue for a little bit before answering the phone. “I was not expecting a call. You know, being how I said I would call if something came up,” I told the caller in a restrained angry tone. The rolling German accent came through to me, “Mm you're going to have to punish me when you come back then love.” I clenched my jaw hard enough to hear my teeth grind. Voss raised an eyebrow and mouthed the shapes for W E I S S. I nodded and she returned a light one and finished off her coffee. “So, why the call?” I asked to deflect the innuendo. Quite a feeble attempt in hindsight but her reply was merciful enough not to push further. “Chimera, their eyes saw what happened and positively identified the man that attacked as working for him,” she said calmly. “I figured as much by the way Voss handled the situation,” I replied back between sips. “Well, you didn't finish him off so... yeah...” she trailed off.  I nodded to myself. This would come back to trouble us until we dealt with the syndicate. However the case came first. Hell this was the first official case I was working and I was going to be damned if I could not solve it before.

She continued, “Look love, we need to finish this case quickly. He will become more vigilant in his vengeance.” I cut off the direction she was going. “We'll talk about your old boyfriend problems when we meet in the morning. We stopped for coffee and are just finishing up. I will talk to you then. Okay?” I said as I finished off my cup. I could feel her wanting to say something else. “What?” I asked harshly. “Well,” she said with a clear smirk on her face, “usually when close people say goodbye they proclaim their love as well.” I felt my eyebrow twitch uncontrollably and spoke completely devoid of any trace of emotion, “Good. Night. Weiss.” I hung up the phone and put it into my pocket.

Voss looked at me as she sat down. I just noticed she had thrown her cup away and mine. “Thanks,” I said standing up and flicking the tail of my trench coat so that it felt more comfortable. She nodded and asked, “So what was that about?” I walked up to the door and opened it to the torrent of downpour. “Nothing important. Rain's gotten heavier so let's hurry,” I said as I gestured for her to go first. She took off in a jog towards my car and I lifted the collar of my coat as I clicked the button on my car remote to unlock the doors. After we had climbed in I handed her my mp3 player and she reconnected it and set it on shuffle. “So what's the plan?” she asked as I flicked the lights and windshield wipers on. I shrugged slightly and said, “I told her we'd report back in the morning so I guess I'm going home for the night. Do you have someplace to go?” She rubbed her collar softly, “Not really. My condo probably has a watch posted on it.” I clicked my tongue lightly tapping the barbell of my stud against my teeth. I nodded as I made my decision. I felt it as the most reasonable solution at the time. “I have an extra room at my condo. You can stay the rest of the night,” I said as I started backing out of the parking spot. The woman was quiet as I pulled up to the traffic light. I tilted my eyes to her slightly. She nodded, “Okay sounds fine to me.”

After driving through the still heavy rain for roughly thirty minutes we pulled up to the gate for my complex's parking lot. Driving cautiously I pulled into the spot labeled with my apartment number. As I lightly turned the ignition towards me I opened my door. I pulled the key from the slot and stood with a motion. Grabbing a handle from the wall I walked around and opened the door for her. She looked at the cylinder in my hand and raised an eyebrow. My thumb hit the button as it unraveled into a domed fabric. She stepped out of the car. After closing it I walked carrying the shield as we crossed from the lot to the entrance. I walked up and pressed the intercom to the reception desk. I pressed it a couple more times with a low hum from each. “How may I help you?” an upbeat phrase answered back. “Marie...” I said as clearly I could. A click came from the frame and I grabbed the handle with my free hand. “Late as usual Mr. Strand,” the box chirped. I opened the door and gestured for her to walk through. Clicking the button returned the fabric to the cylinder and I dropped it in the bin labeled CLEAN/RECYCLE. Voss moved in front of the desk facing down the hall to the stairs. I shook the little bit of rain from my hair as I walked up to the desk.

The brunette high school graduate smiled at me. “What happened to your amazon lady friend? Traded her in for a new toy?” she said eying the red mass of dripping hair behind me. I shook my head, “Just a hitchhiker.” She let out a chuckle with her brown eyes showing knowledge they should not have. “I forgot to ask last night – did I get any mail?” She swiveled her chair around and moved down to the back of the room. I saw her twisted up hair sway side to side. “I don't think so Mr. Strand.” She sat back down. “I'll leave a note for the day manager.” I nodded and shook my coat's water off. “Thanks Marie,” I said as I tapped the back of Voss's elbow and started moving towards the stairs. We spiraled our walk up three levels. Walking down the hall dragging my fingertips against the wall I came up to the door that just had a peephole and knocker. My chilled and wet fingers stumbled on my key ring as I grabbed the silver colored key. After unlocking the door and stepping in; I gestured around the living room.

“It's not as nice as Weiss's but since I said wanted to live on this part of town she said she would only be paying for the biggest one,” I said as I took my trench off and hung it on the coat rack by the door. Voss stepped in and closed the door behind her. The deadbolt clicked into place as she looked around the living room. “Ms. Kirchner has a lot of money...” she said as she picked up a small music box off the mantle above the fireplace. She gently tried lifting the lid and twisted her brow at the effort put into not moving it. I emptied my pockets onto the bookshelf near the door and hung my coat and empty holster on the rack. “She does,” I said walking up to her and wrapping my hand around the box. “I'm sorry!” she said blushing, “It just caught my eye and...” I shook my head, “In all honesty she bought this condo outright and just signed the papers over to me.” I turned the box over and showed her the key taped to it. I tapped the side of the box where there was a keyhole. I dropped it into her hands and turned to sit down in my chair.

She took the key and cranked up the box until the lid popped open. A very tinny classical song came out. “Mozart?” she asked to herself out loud. “Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata first movement,” I said as I undid by boots and sat them next to the chair. She nodded, “Okay I hear it now. I'm not very good at picking out classical music.” I shrugged and stood up. “It was a housewarming gift from Weiss. Here let me show you around,” I said. I pointed near the door, “Coat rack is there, feel free to put your shoes where ever so long as they aren't in the middle of the floor.” She closed the lid until it clicked into place shutting off the music. I pointed to the kitchen as I walked across the room. “Refrigerator, but nothing's in it,” I said as I pointed to a paper on it. “24/hour delivery numbers. Phone on the counter is paid for by Weiss. I don't care what you use it for.” I reached into my pocket and pull out my wallet. I slid the ivory white card out and threw it next to the phone. “Charge as much as you want.” I watched her nod as I walked down the hall.

“Room on the right is the study. Desktop in there with a guest account, no pass. There's also a futon.” I said gesturing across the hall. “Bathroom and laundry room. Detergent is on the shelf next to the machines.” She nodded as I led her further. I pointed at the room next to the study. “That's the guest room, feel free to use it. I haven't had anyone over in a while so it should still be tidy,” I said stopping in front of the closed door at the end of the hall. “This is my room. I just ask if you knock before you come in.” She opened the door to the guest room and looked around. It was very sparsely decorated; I didn't feel it was necessary to put much into it so the room looked like one from a modest motel. She walked around the room looking at the different pieces of furniture and I assumed making mental notes of the new place. I turned to my right and opened the small door. “Extra bedding is in here if you decide you need more. I like to keep the temperature down.”

She nodded as she walked to the dresser and looked in the drawers finding nothing. “Yeah I don't really use this room at all,” I said leaning against the door frame. She looked at herself in the mirror. “This is my only change of clothes,” she said looking at me from the corner of her eye as she rubbed the collar anxiously. I nodded and rubbed my goatee. “Tomorrow we should go get you some clothes before continuing the case. We can't really go back to your apartment because they'll be waiting but we'll figure something out,” I said as I shifted my weight. She sat down on the bed and took off her boots and socks setting them against the nightstand. “Okay sounds good,” she said rubbing the edge of her collar again. “Do you mind if I put my clothes in the dryer?” she asked looking at the water dripping from her onto the bedspread. I shook my head, “Go ahead,” and turned to leave the room. I opened my bedroom door and walked in closing it behind me.

I sat on the edge of my bed noting that the clock on the nightstand read 01:45. I stared at the colon and watched it flash feeling a throbbing in my temples. The room started to feel hazy as I rubbed my jaw.

You could go for a drink couldn't you? There's a delicious little morsel in the next room over.

I shook my head and talked to the voice lightly, “I'm pretty sure I'm fine.”

Tsk tsk Lloyd. You may be able to lie to people but you can't lie to us. Look at yourself in the mirror.

I lifted my head and looked up in the mirror. Everything was out of focus except my figure. I was noticeably shaking and sweating. I watched as the image stood and rose despite me remaining seated. I let out controlled pacing of my breathing as I had not stood up. The reflection spoke.

We, you, and all of “Us”, it said making air quotations, are really tired of dealing with these pains. You should really get something to drink. This reluctance to sate your thirst is getting tiresome. Stand up and do it.

I rose to my feet on shaky legs and walked to the door breathing deeply. I opened the door and the light sound of the dryer rattling. I walked slowly down the hall feeling my throat burning as I walked up to the closed guest room. A faint throbbing filled my ears and I recognized the slow rhythm. The smell of water and a slight fragrance filled my nostrils as I slowly opened the door. I looked in the direction of the smell. Illuminated from the dim light from the window I saw the comforter rising up and down slowly. The feeling of shakiness left me as I felt light. Intoxicated by the smell I silently tread towards the bed and pulled the sheets back slowly.

Voss was lying curled on her side. I rested my nails on her shoulder and softly rolled her on her back. She let out a slight sigh as she was moved to her back. Her face twitched softly so I brought my index finger to her lips and pressed lightly against her philtrum. I spoke softly, “Sleep deeply.” Her face slowly went back to the flat expression of rest. I ran my eyes over her pale skin taking in the silver metal lightly sparkling in the dimness. Once again noticing the deep scars over the insides on her thighs and around the red tuft of hair between them, I thought about how the hair probably also hides marks as I ran my nails on the inside of her wrist and started to press it against it as I looked up her torso to her face. There was no flinch or movement other than her slow breathing. Lifting her wrist to my mouth I softly blew against it. I started to rest my teeth against the throbbing veins. As I did so a flush of lucidity came over me. I set her hand back at her side and pulled back. Disgusted with myself, I shook my head and softly pulled the covers over her as I walked out as quietly as I came pulling the door shut behind me. I sat on the edge of my bed and undressed slowly.

It seems your will is stronger than We suspected. Oh well, beasts must feed eventually, the voice came and went.

I climbed under my covers and hit my clock's top panel lightly turning on the alarm for the morning. Slowly my eyes felt heavily as I drifted off into blackness.

No comments:

Post a Comment